Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Alex the school superstar!


Since I never did get around to updating, I should say that after a few worried nights and lots of little prayers- Alex got in to the same school that Skyler goes to. Which is the school that Grandma Val works it. Which is really cool.

Alex began school just over 2 weeks ago, because Kindergarten kids work on a gradual entry system. Kindergarten is 1/2 day here, with the exception of every other Wednesday. On Wednesday, one group of kids goes all day and the other stays home. Then it rotates. Bad for scheduling childcare, great for the kid excited to eat lunch at school.

Alex woke up early today, bright eyed (Well, he's Alex so I guess he is ALWAYS "bright eyed") and ready to go. He had his bookbag packed. His outfit laid out. His lunchpail on the counter.

The lunchpail was a big deal to Mr. Al B. On his very first day of school, he walked out of the school- stormed out, to be exact- and said "Mommy, I only bwing my lunch pail on Wednesdays. Not evewy day. And all I got fow snack was TWO cookies and one dwink of watew. TWO COOKIES, MOMMY. I am STAWVING."
*Note: I am not really thinking the child was at risk for starvation. He was in class for 2 1/2 hours. And ate right before he went. And as soon as he got home. Against all odds, he survived.

The best part about this lunch obsession was that when I put his backpack on him to go to the bus stop, he was really not loving the fact that it made the backpack weight about as much as he does. Kids. Can't starve 'em, can't make 'em in to pack mules. Sheesh.

Aside from the snack obsession, school has been going great for Alex (and Sky too!). So I knew today was going to be a good day, and it was. He came out of school happy and exhausted- just the way I like him. On the way to school Skyler sat at the front of the bus with his little brother, and as they drove away in a giant Twinkie-On-Wheels together for the first time...I stood on the sidewalk and resisted the urge to break into cheer.





Kids are adorable. So is quiet.

1 comment:

Grandmommy M said...

Yeah, we all love seeing those little buggers hop on the school bus and ride off to school. I well remember two little sisters, one now being the mommy of those two little boys in this post, waiting for their bus to arrive at that very spot.
And now to my delight I get to watch the next generation explore and experience the world too. The best part is reading your amazing and funny accounts of daily life, Bri.