Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A happy day, but a sad morning.

Ok, I try not to get too political on here, but right now I can't help myself.

First of all, I am thrilled that Obama will be our next president!  I honestly feel that he will be a great figure in our nation's politics.  I did not vote Obama because he was a democrat, or because he won the party's nomination.  I voted for him because I believe in Obama and what he stands for.  So, I couldn't be happier with last night's results.

I also felt that  McCain gave an amazing concession speech.  I think we saw that man who was labeled a "maverick".  I think he showed class, good will and genuine human spirit.  

But...all my election night elation is on the back burner for the moment.  I just checked in on CA's Prop. 8, and it put a damper on my mood.  Prop. 8 was a measure writing the definition of marriage as one man, one woman in to the state's CONSTITUTION.

I am appalled that on the same day I get to explain to Skyler that our country has overcome racism enough to elect a black man as President, I have to explain to him that our country discriminates against people for their sexual orientation.  It is just sickening.  

I have heard all the arguments FOR Prop. 8, and I'm sorry- you CANNOT give a valid argument FOR DISCRIMINATION.  It isn't possible.  People tried- remember the civil rights movement?  Slavery?  Women not being allowed to vote?  You can dress it up and call it "protecting marriage", or "protecting our children from being taught about gay marriage"- but it is still and always will be discrimination.

I am saying many, many prayers today.  Today, I am praying for the safety and emotional well being of our new president-elect Barack Obama and his family (I can't imagine the emtional roller coaster of his grandmother passing during this time).  I am praying that our country can come together to move forward, now that the vote has spoken.  I am praying for every CA couple that wakes up today to find out that they are no longer married, that their family isn't seen as "valid" in the eyes of CA voters.  And I am praying that some day, discrimination will not be something we can vote for.

I want my kids to live in a better world.  Isn't that all we want for our little ones?

(OK, done with politics- on this blog.  If you give me a glass of wine & invite me over, I'll discuss it all you want!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brianna, you just gave me, and your Dad, an A+ for parenting. Obviously we did a damn good job, 'cuz yous one good kid!