Saturday, January 16, 2010

My awesome job!

Ok, I've been intending to write an update all week, but as it turns out- adjusting to a new job and routine is exhausting! So here it is, Saturday. First week of my new job is officially over. I got lots of rest last night, and I'm not really prepared to start on the mountain of laundry just yet. What better time to update, right?

I LOVE my job. It is amazing to go to work and feel really, really good about what you do. Every single day this week, I left feeling like "WOW, I just helped so many people- AND I got paid for it!". Loaves and Fishes is such a great organization, and I am so happy to get to know first hand just how much good they do in our community.

Every day, hundreds of meals are served to the seniors in our community through the meals on wheels program and the in center dining. I think what amazes me most is that I am one of only 3 employees at that center- the rest of the needed help comes from so many volunteers that it just blows my mind. It is just astounding to realize how many people there are in our community who give up their time on a daily basis in order to help others. Talk about boosting my faith in humanity!

The biggest challenge this week is in getting the boys on a routine (Skyler, you REALLY have to get dressed for school...Alex, we PROMISE to pick you up from daycare...) and getting my body used to shifting from mommy mode to work out of the home mode. The job itself is so well suited to me that I felt used to it the minute I walked in. Hopefully by the end of next week, the dust will settle here at home!

I hope you all have an amazing weekend!

P.S. Please, please, please vote YES on measures 66 & 67- without these measures, Sky's school district alone faces cuts of 17 school days OR 72 (out of less than 450) teaching positions. And our school district has fared better than many others in the state. We aren't voting on "extras" in education anymore- those are gone. Skyler has a 1/2 time principal, PE only 1/2 the year, music only 1/2 the year, a part time school counselor...in middle school he gets to look forward to the only extra curricular activity being track, large class sizes and probably no outdoor school. Schools are already in shambles. But the basics of education- time in the classroom and teachers to teach, are now at risk. We can't possibly lose more and expect our children to learn.

No comments: